Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Be Authentic

"Make sure your writing is Authentic."

    I have read all of Chapter 10 in my assigned book for class and the major theme in the chapter was about blogging and online news reporting. Although the chapter was full of information describing blog start ups for beginners one key theme was shouting at me. Be Authentic. 
    I care about my writing and how it needs to read with witty writing that flows like a melody whilst sounding professional and informed. All these thoughts run through my head during my writing and often times I get intimidated when I read my peers work. It is this lack of self confidence and need to impress and be original that always makes me get ahead of myself. I focus so much on trying to be unique when that creativity should just come naturally. 
Ryan M. Thornburg dedicated a whole page to writing technique and style, he calls it "Developing a Conversational Voice". It is the new age of news writing for blogs. He talks about knowing your audience and to give a brief, informed, and well written article that reads like a conversation rather than a formal statement.

    My uncle is one of the best writers I will ever know and I would consider him a lost genius of his time. This is not because he has a high IQ or won a MacArthur Genius grant, it is because he wants to read and has this rare admiring thirst for knowledge. Through his 54 years on this earth I believe he is and always will be my greatest inspiration because he made me realize I want to be a Journalist. I always ask for his critique on my work and no matter if it is good, bad, or great he always reads it thoroughly without interruption. He must wear his reading glasses so close to the tip of his nose and sometimes lip reads to himself (which is very nerve wracking). Not once will he look up at me or pause to make a comment. Once he is finished he will put the paper down on his lap or fold it up nicely then his eyes will intently find their way to my view, this, of course all being done without any movement of his head, he will stare for just a moment and then proceed to say...

                "What is writing Megan?" 
     My response is usually an unenthusiastic...
                    "Rewriting..."  
     My uncle has made me a better writer and I always make sure my work is original. As a journalist I need to start writing in a different way but still hold the great lessons and values of polished work my uncle has taught me. 
        Reading "Developing a Conversational Voice" I took a moment and realized that to be a journalist is to write for those who not only seek to be informed but inspire those that may not care, to care. My writing must reflect this notion and it will be something I will strive for my whole career as a future journalist. Be a voice for the people. 
           I will leave you with one more piece of new found knowledge I came across while reading Chapter 10. The first blogger before the internet and father of all journalists, Edward R. Murrow. I watched this hour long documentary he made about farm pickers. This aired on thanksgiving day in 1960 and it is one of the most celebrated documentaries of all time. 
If you have an hour to spare...you should think about spending it watching this. 
                                         
                            Harvest of Shame by Edward R. Murrow
   






    

No comments:

Post a Comment