Monday, January 28, 2013

DEALING WITH STRESS

I think we can all agree that stress has a major role in each of our lives and how we deal with that can really effect our health and happiness. I am taking a full schedule this semester for the first time since I was 18. 
I'm ready to do this and get my degrees. Most people have a hard time figuring out what they want out of life and what they expect life to hand them. 
Me? I have always known. Although, never had an opportunity to grab it without a fight. For the first time in my life I am able to go to school full time and work minimal hours to finish college and become a Journalist. 

I have one problem though. STRESS AND MIGRAINES. 
I deal with stress horribly, I just let it eat me alive. Between my full school schedule and not naturally being a morning person (6:30am class shoot me in the foot) paying my bills, filing for financial aid, working full time on the weekends and in between that trying to eat and sleep...the life of a college student is no picnic but we can all agree it is way better than not being a college student. 
I am a B student who struggles to get an A. I need the homework assignments to understand in order to get a C on my quizzes and tests. I have never been that student who can never study and still somehow get an A. I want a doctorates someday and if I'm lucky it would be the pleasure and my dream to get a PhD. 
So, for me, college is way more than just "I got a degree to get a good job" its my career, my investment, my life's pursuit of happiness! 
I care about being on time to class, finishing my assigned work, and listening to the lectures and advice professors give me. 
All this stress I put on myself only ends in one result...very...very...terrible...MIGRAINES.
I also need to remember that balance is necessary to success and happiness. A journalist has passion. Sometimes that passion can be overwhelming and its necessary to take a step back and just relax. 

So, my advice to myself and my readers is this: Take it one step at a time. Drink lots of water. And if it gets worse, go see a doctor. On that note, I must go now or I will miss my appointment!

In case you have the same problems I do trying to handle stress and migraines, heres a helpful blog about ways to deal with it. 

7 ways to manage stress

No comments:

Post a Comment