Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Chapter 1 & More

CHAPTER 1, INTERACTIVE HTML, VISUAL RESUME, AND AMY GOODMAN.

I first a foremost want to apologize for the short absent. I am back and ready to talk about all the great things I have done in class and discovered on my own. 

We were assigned to read Chapter 1 in our textbook PRODUCING ONLINE NEWS. It felt a little backwards to start from chapter 1 seeing as we have already read chapters 10 and 11. Although, you can never get enough information and learn more about Journalism. As an amateur and aspiring Journalist I could use all the information and education I can get. The book discusses beats and goals a journalist needs to create a great story. To understand your audience and capture the information that will be most useful and what people really want to know. I don't think anyone has stressed more in my readings then to know your intended audience. 

Journalism 20 years ago was so different then from what it has become today. Media is vastly different in so many ways. There are no longer 3 news stations that anchors will pick and chose what stories to run and when they should run them. The people control the media's influence. The web has been a leader in the efforts of independent news feed. Blogs, Twitter, Facebook, and so many more web outlets have given users a voice. Journalism happens everyday in the homes of millions across the globe. This is now a new major challenge for Journalists today, how to stand out. 

Discussion forums have been a great way for people to comment and discuss viewpoints on a variety of subjects ranging from hot button issues to occurrences that are now making new headlines. I feel fortunate to live in an age where information is at my fingertips. Being a Journalist is more to me than exposing a wrong or reporting on daily, breaking, or investigative news. It is about giving people information and giving them what they want to hear and what they deserve to know. With the internet that has been possible and quiet easy to access. 

INTERACTIVE HTML 

This assignment is by far going to be the most challenging. Quite honestly, I do not understand it at all. I have no idea how I am going to put this into webpage form. I understand what we are suppose to do. I just don't know how I am going to do it. 

I surely hope someone will help me. I always thought I knew enough about computers and programs enough to get through college and possibly learn new steps on the way but I didn't know I would be completely illiterate! I will be learning a lot these coming two weeks. 

So, lets get to the point. What is the assignment? It is my job to research and find places to eat around Cerritos College both on and off campus. Simple right? Exactly. Too simple. Its boring! I needed to spice things up a bit and give myself a challenge. A week ago we had an assignment for the infographs. My topic was Diabetes. I am going to incorporate that into this assignment. My official title for this assignment is...

HOW TO MAINTAIN A HEALTHY DIET ON A BUDGET AT CERRITOS COLLEGE. 

It would appear that "times are tough" but quiet honestly times are always tough as a college student. Whats worse than making sure you studied for your midterm, finished your essays, and make it to class on time?? That oh, by the way, you've gained 5 pounds because all you have time for is to grab chips and a soda at the Elbow Room. By the time you are down with school and work the only place that is open is you're empty refrigerator and Jack n the Box. An apple is not filling and it wont give you the boost you need. 

But what will? Perhaps an apple with peanut butter and a 5 hour energy? 
I will be writing a step by step guide to help the college student who wants to try and eat healthy without damaging you're wallet on organic whole foods and vitamin supplements. 
Diabetes is alive and threatens our daily lives, some more than others but ultimately it does for everyone. Young people may not be at as high of a risk as people in their late to early 50s but it is still significantly high. Food should be the last worry on our minds. I hope with this project I can help that  a little. Just give everyone an easier way to a healthier lifestyle without sacrificing too much. More to come on this!

AMY GOODMAN & DEMOCRACY NOW!

I understand this blog is suppose to be about Cerritos College Multimedia Journalism but I can't help but sometimes share great things that have come my way. I'm sure you have noticed I talk about Amy Goodman a lot and I do this because she is my role model. To me, she is the epitome of an investigative Journalist and one I would very much like to someday have the pleasure of working with. To those of you who share the same aspirations as I do or if you are simply curious, feel free to watch her interview on AOL dot com. JOURNALISM WITH A HEART 




No comments:

Post a Comment