Thursday, April 18, 2013


SLIDESHOW PROJECT FINNISHED AND VIDEO INTERVIEW BEGINS. NEW BEGINNINGS AND A FRESH START.

My group and I finished our slideshow project together. It was down to the wire with us trying to get it finished. What I learned from this project is timing is everything and so is translation. Our interviewee does not speak a word of English! Luckily, we had two translators with us to help us translate our interview from Spanish to English. The project turned out to be such a great success.

Our interviewee’s name is Pedro. He is a labor worker in the Labor Work Area on the 133 highway in Laguna Beach. He is an undocumented worker living in between San Francisco and Santa Ana. His story was more than just moving; it was eye opening experience for everyone in the group to understand how fortunate we all are to be American citizens.

One of the things that Pedro discussed with the group was something that I will never forget. He said that his hands bled and he cried from the pain of hard labor, that it is depressing and lonely. He said that people forget why they are out here and get into drugs and alcoholism. He said he always remembers that he did this for his family and is devoted to give them a life better than his.

Not everyone is fortunate enough to have the life you or I have. Whenever we think that we have a hard life there is always another person who has it harder. I am able to go to school full time, work, and eat everyday. I never go a night hungry nor worry about what I am going to do about money the next day. That is just enough for me.

What I did realize and take from the interview is that this is where I am meant to be, writing the untold story from the people that suffer the most. 



VIDEO RECORDING INTERVIEW WITH CHEF RAMERIEZ AT CERRITOS COLLEGE

I have a new group and a new project to do. I am excited for a lighter side to journalism. The new people in my group are Michael and Anthony 

They are both really nice guys and have some great ideas. I am excited to work with them and see what we can come up with. We decided on going to Cerritos College Culinary department and talk to some culinary students about their experiences learning and being a cook at Cerritos.

We also wanted to interview the main Chef that runs the school to get an inside scoop to how the program works and what cooks look to achieve going to school in the Culinary Program. We also wanted to get his background on the restaturants he has worked at and what brought him to Cerritos College.

More information about this topic will be coming soon. Tomorrow we are going to talk to the Chef to start filming.

No comments:

Post a Comment