Tuesday, April 9, 2013

WORDS ARE POWERFUL BUT PHOTOS, VIDEOS, AND RECORDED INTERVIEWS IMPACT A READER EMOTIONALLY.

Everyday I try to keep up on the current news to understand what is going on in the world and better understand journalism and what its all about. Articles are great to read because sometimes reading something gives you a better understanding then just listening to someones words.

If a reader is listening to a video or a podcast he/she may misinterpret what the newscastor was saying and through word of mouth may have a complete misunderstanding of the news he/she just watched. Words can be powerful and less misunderstood by a reader. Although this is true, hearing someones story, looking at their photographs, and watching in motion of events that occur brings people closer together and a connection can be made between the reader, the journalist, and what message they are portraying.

A good example of this is the current project I am working on with my group called SOUNDLISDES SHOW this project, as I stated before is a recorded interview with a person who has an interesting job and who can tell their story and how they got to that particular career choice. Myself and my group went to Laguna Beach and interviewed two people so that we can chose which person we thought interviewed the best and who we decided to use in our presentation. My group felt the first interview we did was the most powerful and will have the biggest impact on its viewers as it did to us.

This emotion I hope viewers (my classmates) will get from this slideshow presentation will impact them as much as it did me and my group. This same emotion is what I felt watching just 25 seconds of the beginning of a video clip by the news segment DEMOCRACY NOW!
within those first few seconds of the introduction I saw horrific animal curelty done to pigs, cows, and chickens in farms across the nation. Something we as American consumers never have to think about, how the animals are treated right before they are taken to slaughter houses. For those 25 seconds I did want to become a vegetarian...just for those seconds!

The news segment today was just the example of the project we are working on in class. It is meant to shock you and perhaps open the viewers eyes to something they never knew exisited, or never gave much thought before. Our actions have consequences and its a journalists job to expose that to mass audiences and remind us all that we can make a difference in our own society and cultural way of life.



In case you were curious about the news segment I discussed, here is a shortcut to Democracy Now! as of today: April 9th 2013

Democracy now! Tuesday, April 9th 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment